2014 First Book Institute
The 2014 First Book Institute was co-directed by CALS Director Sean X. Goudie and Priscilla Wald, Professor of English and Women's Studies at Duke University. Institute faculty included Penn State professors Jonathan Abel, Hester Blum, Chris Castiglia, Tina Chen, Eric Hayot, Janet Lyon, John Marsh, Shirley Moody-Turner, Carla Mulford, Scott Smith, and Susan Squier, as well as Penn State University Press director Patrick Alexander.
2014 First Book Institute Participants and Projects
Back row: Carrie Hyde, Bart Brinkman, Jillian Sayre, Grant Wythoff
Front row: Sarah Wald, Molly Pulda, Natalia Cecire, Joy Howard, Priscilla Wald, Sean Goudie
Bartholomew Brinkman, Assistant Professor of English, Framingham State University
- Project Title: Poetic Modernism in the Culture of Mass Print
Natalia Cecire, ACLS New Faculty Fellow, Department of English; Postdoctoral Fellow, Whitney Humanities Center, Yale University
- Project Title: Experimental: American Literature and the Aesthetics of Knowledge, 1880-1950
Joy A. J. Howard, Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of English, Saint Joseph's University
- Project Title: Iroquois Captive and Haudenosaunee Interpreter: Reconstructing the Borderlands Life of Rebecca Kellogg Ashley
Carrie Hyde, Assistant Professor of English, University of California, Los Angeles
- Project Title: Literary Originalism: The Extra-Legal Development of U.S. Citizenship, 1776-1868
Molly Pulda, Provost's Postdoctoral Fellow in the Humanities, Department of English, University of Southern California
- Project Title: Sympathetic Ink: Memoirs of Family Secrets
Jillian Sayre, Associate Lecturer, Department of English, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Project Title: In a Scryptural Economy: Nation, Narrative, and Necropolitics in Post-Revolutionary American Literatures
Sarah Wald, Assistant Professor of English, University of Louisville
- Project Title: The Nature of Citizenship: Race, Nature, and Citizenship in Representations of Californian Agricultural Labor
Grant Wythoff, Fellow, Society of Fellows in the Humanities, and Lecturer, Department of English and Comparative Literature, Columbia University
- Project Title: Gadgetry: New Media and the Fictional Imagination
Photos from the 2014 First Book Institute
Co-Directors Sean Goudie and Priscilla Wald lead a workshop on introductions.
Co-Director Priscilla Wald and Molly Pulda during an afternoon workshop session.
Bart Brinkman takes notes during a session on drafting book proposals.